Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sonnets For Your Consideration

Dear, sweet Central California
Cowgirl-me

Maple-hued leather boots, soft, broken, scuffed
Hugs my arch with familiar, welcomed ease
Sends senses home to dusty, warm, and roughed
Yet beauteous and bountiful valleys.

The San Joaquin Valley is my mother;
She beckons through her fruitful, sun-kissed hearth
Bids me: “Tend, care, and cherish no other;
Heed sweet nurture in your here-cradled birth.”

Dear boots have travelled far with me from home.
Now my mark of styled art and flair, though
Shine with goodly ethos where I was grown
Dust of Valley fills my City’s hollow

Cowgirl in me, never stop your nudging;
City-girl-me needs meek, humble judging. 

At Harvard Square Starbucks where I wrote this Sonnet; Mommy was sitting behind me

A Sonnet from Cambridge

Show me inklings, Father, of what will come
As I sit amidst great minds at Harvard.
My worth, far more than name and status’ sum,
Stepping, reaching up, You draw me heav’n-ward.

Your plans for me are wise, faithful and true.
I trust, abide in You implicitly.
Regardless where I end, what I accrue,
You’re my harbor of true felicity.

Your ways are greater, thoughts are higher still
Than imagination could dream to pray.
Your Will pre-purposed shall my hands fulfill,
And mind speak forth what burden you convey

Spirit, I faint answer your commission
Come, breathe life through holy intercession!

-- (Based on Jeremiah 29:11, John 15:4, Isaiah 55:9, Ephesians 2:10, Romans 8:27)

No comments: