Monday, February 07, 2011

Eastern Market Charm



I now understand the charm of the local farmers market. I am not into knick knacks or junky little things that can often be found at flea markets, but Washington DC’s Eastern Market is SO much more than that. Yes, you have to walk by and through the peddling to get to the market, but once you are inside, your dinner menu is boundless! Meat and flowers and cheese and fish counters as well as locally grown produce.

I really wanted tacos yesterday and went in search of ground beef. I didn’t want to go all the way to the store, and I just wanted a little bit, so I walked to Eastern Market before church. There is something so charming about visiting your local market on the way to church. It is so quaint! 

Eastern Market smells like fish, but somehow it doesn’t matter, because you know it’s so authentically fresh! I ordered my half pound of ground beef and went to church. (Yes, I refrigerated the meat while I was in there!)  When I got home, I cooked it, and it smelled and tasted so good. Just perfect. 

I loved the whole process. I think I will start a tradition of cooking a meat-centered dinner once a weekend, with meat fresh from Eastern Market. Just the walk there, the colors, the smells, are so fresh it reminds me of living in London or New York City. Stop by for dinner some time! If it’s nice out, we can sit outside.

3 comments:

Noël V. said...

I didn't know that you had started to blog again, but I'm glad because I was tired of checking it and wishing that it was up to date ;) I had a similar day today as you did yesterday with entirely different factors: sleeping in until 8:00, sighting dolphins AND a whale!, driving with my windows down on PCH, and more. Some of those should be a tradition. Inspired somewhat by you, so thanks!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Teresa said...

Oh my, I wish I could! We could cook up something together, inspired by all the fresh ingredients! Then, just for good measure, sit outside and feed a fat little brown bird just waiting for a crumb.