Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Age-Old Debate: Can Women 'Have it All?'

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/07/why-women-still-can-8217-t-have-it-all/9020/?single_page=true

This is a long article but the gist of it: can you be both a good professional employee and a good mother and wife? The article discusses how hard it is, and possibly impossible, to "have it all."

I guess I don't really have any practical thoughts on what it would be like to be an employee and a mother. But I want to have the mindset that I am not called to "have it all" but to "have Him all."

The only thing I "want" is to stand before the face of God; my career and my family life is only in service to Him. So there can never be a conflict, ultimately. It may seem that way, but at every juncture, I will just choose Him and the rest will take care of itself. I don't want to 'have it all.' I just want to 'have Him all.' I merely have to lay down my personal desires in service to Him..."I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me."

I know this is an extremely spiritual answer, but at the end of the day, I trust in God's sovereignty and I want to put Him completely in charge of my life and my will. This song lyric below shows how we don't have to choose between "having it all" if we singleheartedly choose the One right thing and let him direct our lives. There is no conflict.

I'm giving you my heart, and all that is within
I lay it all down for the sake of you my King
I'm giving you my dreams, I'm laying down my rights
I'm giving up my pride for the promise of new life
And I surrender all to you, all to you

Ultimately, where God guides he provides the will and the way to make things work.

No comments: