Thursday, June 02, 2011

The Spiritual Autobiography

E. Stanley Jones, missionary

Jill Briscoe, evangelist

Ruth Pakaluk, Convert to Catholicism, Mother, Pro-life Activist

Elizabeth Prentiss, documenter of discipleship from childhood to aged womanhood

About four years ago, I became interested in reading spiritual autobiographies. I was not aware that this was a genre of literature until I read one or two and through a discussion with my friend Laura, learned that she had taken a class at Pepperdine that focused on this literary form. It was of utmost interest to me, mostly because I didn’t have any heroes of faith that I looked up to and wanted to model my life after. This is probably because I didn’t see the people and examples around me adequately, but judged them with a plank hanging out of my  own eye (Matthew 7). In any case, I began to savor and delight in reading other people’s tales of faith and growth and discipleship. I have not read any of the “greats” but in the next few days, I do want to write about three that have most impressed me so far. The first one, I barely remember and I would like to re-read, but I don’t have the book any longer. I think I will purchase it tonight and re-read it so I can report back to you. It is fictional, and called “Stepping Heavenward” by Elizabeth Prentiss and is likely based on her own life. The second is E. Stanley Jones, the third is Jill Briscoe, and the fourth is Ruth Pakaluk. (Ruth’s is not really an autobiography; it was compiled by her husband prior to her untimely death from breast cancer). These are amazing modern people who have taught me so much. It does hurt me though that I don’t know people living today for whom I have such regard. Please God show me.

PS as I was writing this, I recalled a treasure I had as a child. I received the Fox's Book of Martyr's (or an abridged version of the Saints) when I celebrated my First Communion as a child. I recall loving to read of the sacrifice and martydom of the sacred, holy men and women. 

No comments: