Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lord, what about him?

As an oldest child, I grew up constantly comparing myself, my benefits and responsibilities, privileges and punishments, with my siblings and my friends. I felt like I was not allowed to anything fun that my friends could do, like watch certain movies or TV shows, or spend the night at friends’ homes, stay out late, go on dates, wear certain clothes, etc.

But I specifically remember my parents telling me that I wasn’t allowed to do certain things because they were accountable to God for how they raised me, and God wouldn’t want me to see certain movies or listen to certain music. Of course, I challenged, “How to you know? Did God tell you that?” They said that even if He didn’t directly tell them so in an audible voice, He gave them reason and discernment to best raise us kids in a Godly manner. And they would have to answer to God for their decisions. 

My next line of questioning went something like this, “Well why would God tell you that I cannot do that, but tell other Christian parents that their kids can do that? Are you saying that you hear God correctly and that Pastor X doesn’t hear God correctly? Do you think you are holier or better than Pastor X?” (Oh, yeah, I was that bratty).

Still, I always wrestled with this question, and never felt quite comfortable with an answer. It is interesting to realize that different people are called to different standards of abstention of food, alcohol, media, etc, based on personal convictions and sensitivities. This is why we must be careful not to be a stumbling block to others. Although I don’t think it’s wrong to drink alcohol in moderation, if I will offend Christians who see it as wrong, I will not drink in front of them.

I think the life lesson came full circle for me today as I did my personal Bible study. I stumbled upon this passage from John 21:
“Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved (John) was following them. When Peter saw him, he asked, “Lord, what about him?”
Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.”
Because of this, the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?”  
My future kids probably won’t understand the message of this text. But that’s okay. Every time they compare, tattle, or challenge my personal convictions regarding the more permissive decisions of Christian living, I will let them copy and interpret this text over and over until it’s ingrained in their mindset. It would have helped me a lot.

Jesus tells Peter, “ …what is that to you? You must follow me.” 

No comments: