Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Is the Human Soul Infinite?

I just read this about being open, transparent, "naked" according to this author, and it was very challenging to me.
Being intimate in relationship is peeling back the layers, conversation after conversation, experience after experience, year after year. It's rooted in a belief that the soul has infinite depth and you'll never get to the bottom of it.

Our understanding of what it means to be open reflects what we believe about the human soul. Is it infinite? Or can you get to the end of a person? (Sex God: Rob Bell)
It is challenging because I know exactly what it is like to say to myself, "Okay; Stop. You know enough about the details of the other person. Now just coexist and relate within those bounds." Obviously, you cannot continue to grow in relationship and understanding with more than a few close friends and family members. But I think that I dismiss people at this point of surface understanding. And for the most part I am okay with that...it's natural and healthy. But there's a part of me that thinks that those people end there...that there is no more to know or discover.

I also have to question myself: do I think that there is an end of a person? I definitely act that way, about myself and others. But I think the answer to the question is NO. I don't think you can ever get to the essence of a person. I need to act that way, and to discover that about myself as well.

1 comment:

JuJuBee said...

Sorry...as I re-read that, I realize it is unintelligible. Maybe I will try to clarify, but probably not. Just take the Rob Bell part for the jewel of thought that it is.