Tuesday, March 02, 2010

No hablo Espanol


Despite growing up in California's Central San Joaquin Valley, I do not speak Spanish. I do not understand Spanish. I took a few years of it in high school, but that's about it. I am mostly just familiar with Mexican Food, which I love, and I have been craving like crazy while living here in DC.

But an amazing thing just happened. Amazing. I had to take a foreign language exam as a methods requirement for my PhD Program, and I PASSED! I am so grateful and thankful to Jesus for helping me, and for directing my mind and helping me discern the answers to the reading comprehension exam. I am so happy and pleased with the results...truly, it was a shot in the dark on this one. I had no way to methodically study for it, since it could have been on anything at all.

But, Praise God, I passed this hurdle. That means that I am 100 percent done with all classes, and this is what is left:

Pass my minor area comprehensive exam in May (in American Politics subfield)
Read the literature on religion and decision making in IR
Write a proposal/prospectus for my dissertation; defend it
Write my dissertation; defend it
Go on the job market!

Wow.....that is still a huge uphill battle, but I have been diligently and faithfully ticking off boxes as I go along. By the grace of God alone. "I can do all things through God who gives me strength."

1 comment:

noël said...

How did you manage that? I'm a bit jealous. I spent over 4 hours today doing French homework :(

I was certain that Senora Cagle's "Alphabet-O, Olé!" song wouldn't be enough to get me through a college level test.