Monday, March 01, 2010

Stylin' in DC

There's some interesting things to note about being both a student at GW and a staffer on Capitol Hill. The kids on campus, boys as well as girls, are absolutely stunning. Sorry, Fresno State, but the people at this school are so much better looking as a general rule. Perhaps it is because their parents have exponentially more money, and they wear Juicy Couture PJ's, as well as all the best designer shoes, bags, jackets, etc. Their makeup and accessorizing is to a T; not to mention that 18-22 year old beauty puts the rest to shame.

Meanwhile, on Capitol Hill, style is a manual you can buy at the office supply store. It doesn't exist. The interns look super trashy in their skimpy ensembles from the J.C.Penny's Juniors department....okay, we were all there at one time...and it seems like every time I walk into a briefing or meeting, its a flood of gray, black, and navy. I don't really ever feel inspired to wear unique clothes that appeal to me, because I don't think anyone would appreciate it-- not even me, when I am sitting at my desk, shivering because of the arctic temperatures that run throughout the federal building.

I have to admit to changing my style and my habits depending on where I am going...to work or to school. It has been good to be on campus-- despite being constantly aware of physical and material shortcomings, it has kept me on my toes of self expression through dress. And perhaps I get lazy and tired in dressing for work; the people I meet with deserve to meet with a staffer who gives 100 percent to being professional and well-dressed.

I don't have a solution yet, or even any normative thoughts on this reality...I just wanted to share. And I should also mention that the third place I dress differently for is church. It's tradition. My parents always instilled in me the desire to dress up for church, because we are "Going to God's house." And to this day, I want to "enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise." For that occassion, I will always don my partiest of party dresses. I love that.

Oh, wow. Did I just describe a psychology of dressing? Next up: the verse that talks about not worrying to wear; you know, the one about the lilies of the field.

No comments: