Monday, August 15, 2011

The Fear of the Unknown

“For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part;then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.”(1 Corinthians 13:12)

I confess to fearing the unknown. I am sure a lot of people feel this way. But I can turn a normal tendency into something extreme. I am not good at “casting all of my anxieties upon [God] because He cares for me.” (1 Peter 5:7). Instead, my wild and compelling imagination takes over. And I descend into vain imaginings. This is sinful! Why don’t I see that? Even more, it is telling God that I don’t trust that He is in control and knows exactly what He is doing in my life. 

I go into such deep thoughts of exactly how this or that might thwart my plans, if it happens in such and such a way. Really, all of these variables are so far from my control that it is positively futile, wasteful, and foolish (not to mention the wicked, sinful part of it) to dwell on such things.

In the Bible, and throughout the history of mankind, humans have looked for ways to know and control the future. This photograph initially reminded me of Snow White and wicked Queen's "Mirror, Mirror on the wall" prophecies. In 2 Samuel, King Saul first got rid of all the witches and divination, and then found one to conjure up the deceased Prophet Samuel for Saul to inquire of him. Even in the New Testament book of Acts, a slave girl was a profitable asset for her masters, as she would tell fortunes, and her masters lashed out at the disciples for casting out the evil spirits. After Jesus rose from the dead and instituted his Church on earth, there were many factions of "believers" who sought special revelations, new insights, and individual mystical experiences of faith beyond what was held in trust through the written and spoken Word of God in the Church. These Gnostics existed from day one until today. We all want to know the future, the special mysteries of the future. Many people grow obsessed and enter into unhealthy practices of many sorts, such as geneologies, numerical and astrological obsessions, all of which just distract from Christ. And really, they are all means through which we try to control the future. We cannot manipulate, control, or understand the immense and perfect mind of the Creator. We need to rest and trust in his consummate Goodness, Beauty, and Truth. 

Lord, help me to trust you in every moment of my life with every intention of my mind, and every act of my will. Give me the grace to continue to trust you  and not struggle to maintain control of my life and my future. 

1 comment:

Teresa said...

We fear because we do not want danger to befall us. If our future was one Disneyland after another, there would be no need to fear. There would be anticipation, that is, until the future held no surprises, no freshness, no growth, no need outside our own devices, and then, that would be the greatest fear of all, no pleasure in the world that God gave us and no pleasure in God's comfort, wisdom, and love. We almost need the contrast to understand how blessed we are to make the choice to trust God and take Him at His word. His Word did design the relationship we have to Him and that certainly includes trusting the things yet unseen. So, as we walk around the corner of a new day, the greatest joy we have is knowing He will accompany us down the path.