Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Welcome to George Washington University

My first month in DC...FIVE whole years ago!

My first room in DC...I thought I could live permanently without a bed.

GW Campus...It's way cooler now!

In two weeks, my youngest brother, Paul, will be moving into the dorms at GW. I am so very excited to have him in DC with me. While I love this city and all it has to offer and all the people it brings together, there is one thing it has NOT brought together: my family.

So Paul is transferring to GW to finish his degree in Security Studies. I am so happy. And apparently, so is GW. Since the last time I really payed attention to the goings-on in Foggy Bottom, a huge new (HUGE! NEW!) apartment/office building has been completed, along with a deli/cafe, Sweetgreen yogurt and salad restaurant, a fancy restaurant, a mediterranean restaurant, and a Whole Foods. These are just beginning to open up, one at a time, and the Whole Foods will be open the day before Paul's birthday. I am not sure if he will be looking for a job, but that would be a great one!

Also, I can't wait for him to learn about Gelman library, and its attache, Starbucks (Gelbucks). I love this library. It is teeming with people and there are all sorts of arrangements of study rooms, open space, tables, desks, comfy chairs, couches, loud rooms and quiet rooms, laptop rooms and no-laptop-rooms, undergraduate and graduate rooms, pretty much anything you can imagine. The library is open from 7:30am to midnight during the summer and 24 hours during the school year I think (I try NOT to be in the library in the middle of the night--ever!) and the Starbucks is also 24 hours and is probably the busiest one in the country. Not great for studying, but it is great for picking up on the local college culture and flavor, which is much to be had!

Paul, GW and DC and I welcome you here! I wish I could be here to get you from the Airport but I will be in Yosemite :( But you will be able to get situated and all set on your own! I love you! Can't wait to see you! I am already trying to think of a tradition we can start....like I take you to lunch every Sunday or brunch after morning church maybe. We shall see!

Love! Your Sister!

No comments: