Saturday, August 20, 2011

Kindness is the Language which the Deaf can Hear and the Blind can See ~Mark Twain


Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another,
as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved,
compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Colossians 3:12

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord
require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk
humbly with your God? Micah 6:8
The character quality of kindness is one of the most rare and the most valuable. We often assume this quality in people around us, but that can be deceiving. This is because the people we “like” and spend time with are nice to us, naturally. “Even the pagans…love those who love them.” It is an entirely different character trait to harbor internal kindness toward those who are not our friends and those whom we do not approve. 

Kindness is also a slippery concept. What does it exactly mean? Is it like “niceness” or “charity?” Here are a few verbs that get closer to the true meaning which I am trying to pin down in this blog post: “Good will; benignity; grace; tenderness; compassion; humanity; clemency; gentleness; goodness; generosity; beneficence; favor.” Another well fitting synonym is “big-heartedness.” 
When I looked up all of the quotes on kindness I could find online, most of them deal with reciprocity: repay kindness for kindness. Or about specific acts of kindness. But I am more interested in the inner state of the heart, the charity and good will that resides there. It is not about other people, though it affects other people, it is about one’s internal heart and will condition. I want to be generous in my thoughts and love and good-will toward everyone. Both my friends and strangers. 
This is one of the most attractive things about Jesus, in my opinion. I would have followed Him around Galilee if I was a little girl growing up in that time period. I would have melted and loved to see him help the lame, the blind, the feeble, the sick, and the weak. His heart of kindness is so generous and meek, and his love for the children is so stirring. I want to approach every other person with this kindness. Not only externally, but internally most of all.

No comments: