Wednesday, January 04, 2012

"Your arms, Jesus, which are the lift to carry me to heaven."


“We need no longer climb laboriously up flights of stairs; in well-to-do houses there are lifts. And I was determined to find a lift to carry me to Jesus, for I was far too small to climb the steep stairs of perfection. So I sought in Holy Scripture some idea of what this lift I wanted would be, and I read these words from the very mouth of eternal Wisdom: ‘Whosoever is a little one, let him come to me.’ I drew nearer to God, fully realizing that I had found what I was looking for. I also wanted to know how God would deal with a “little one,” so I continued my search and found this: ‘You shall be carried at the breasts and upon the knees; as one whom the mother caresseth, so will I comfort you.’ Never before had I been gladdened by such sweet and tender words. It is Your arms, Jesus, which are the lift to carry me to heaven. And so there is no need for me to grow up. In fact, just the opposite: I must stay little and become less and less. O God, you have gone beyond anything I hoped for and I will sing of Your mercies: ‘Thou hast taught me, O Lord, from my youth, and till now I have declared Thy wonderful works and shall do so unto old age and grey hairs.’”
-- The Story of a Soul

No comments: