Monday, February 13, 2012

Keep Watch on Yourself, Lest You Too Be Tempted


Galatians 6:1 says, “Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.”

I have learned this verse by experience in the past year. For the first time, I was deeply hurt by someone very close to me. A Christian friend who claims to love and worship Jesus refused to extend grace and mercy to me. And not only to me, but to many others as well. 

One can only do so much to “restore someone in a spirit of gentleness.” It was my place to do so; I was not a stranger or acquaintance, but loved and wanted the very best for this person. It was my job to gently and lovingly try to point out this weakness in the hope of restoration. But my caring intentions were flatly rejected by the individual, who instead judged me and turned a steeled heart toward me. 

I hurt for many reasons, some of which were my own vanity, the feeling of judgment, and the lack of mercy for my human failings for which my friend withheld grace and forgiveness. This is where I started to encounter the second part of the verse, where I lost watch on myself, because my eyes were on my friend, and I was tempted to the same unforgiveness, lack of mercy, and judgment I had pointed out in the first place.

When you try to restore someone with gentleness and they do not receive it, it is easy to become preoccupied with the other person’s behavior, and lose sight of your own heart. I found that mine had become hardened toward my friend, just as my friend’s had been toward me.

I will react differently in the future, and I will determine today that my feelings, emotions, hurts, and pains will not dictate my life or thoughts of other people. I am so sorry for becoming hardened and embittered toward my friend for not receiving or hearing my gentle rebuke. 

God, I only ask that you please help this friend overcome this significant barrier to experience your mercy. You state that God will “forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who trespass against us.” Jesus please have mercy on those who refuse to forgive and extend mercy. And please help me to let go of the hardness and bitterness that I have allowed to hold me captive.

No comments: