Friday, July 29, 2011

Forgiveness, Grace, and Bitterness

Return of the Prodigal Son, Rembrandt c. 1669
The Prodigal Daughter, Artist

The Prodigal Son, Artist
These are two sonnets I wrote about forgiveness, grace, and bitterness. The first one was written in February, and the second, this week. Obviously, I still struggle with this concept.

The first is loosely based on two stories: Steven Curtis Chapman's family struggle, and the Prodigal Son. The second is a glimpse from the perspective of the 'unforgiven.'

Grace is Enough
Dad threw his weight upon his boy who killed
His baby sister as he drove from home.
Dad pinned him, poured out prayers that he'd "Be filled
With peace...grace...peace...grace...peace...grace...peace"-- God's poem.

Righteous father peered out in expectance.
Errant child though he was, he was dear loved.
Sloth and greed could not sear family bond, hence
man flew son-ward; with grace estrangement shoved.

The prodigal in guilt or innocence
is overwhelmed, awash in flood of grace.
Yet my ugliness--my most feared essence--
pure snow in bloodied eclipse of Christ's face.

Can't earn your faith, though I fight, I can't win;
Your love covers my multitudes of sin.
- JTG, February 2011

Bitterness Destroys
The wisdom says that unforgiveness is
a noose around the unforgiving’s neck.
That she alone is hurt by bitterness
no plank she sees; obsessed with my eye speck.

I dare to say this wisdom is foolish;
While, yes, the unforgiving is a slave
to wounding; she also damns and inflicts
Much pain and shame each moment grace not gave.

Repentant sinners we all are, what ruth
in not extending mercy to others;
Look to see the best, which is often Truth
For Love looks not to hurt, but love covers.

For sinner’s part, I must examine aim:
Does want of good opinion drive my shame? 
-JTG, July 2011

No comments: