Saturday, July 23, 2011

My Spiritual Autobiography- Very Course Outline Part 1


My parents were raised Catholic and married in the Catholic Church. Accordingly, all four of their children were baptized Catholic and received the sacraments through First Communion in second grade. We went to catechism. I don’t remember anything at all from CCD except the story of the rich man and Lazarus (a rather jarring story, to say the least!) as recorded in all four Gospels.

I was an altar girl along with my sister, and we were at church very often. I remember going with my father to “empty” churches during the day for him to pray. I knew the rules, the words, and the traditions.

When I was in fourth grade, I went to a Christian summer camp and met other people who were on fire for Jesus. I loved camp and really came into a deeper knowledge of my faith there. I associated true Christian life and reality with that experience; it was transformative.

I went to a new school in a new town the next year and my parents started trying out protestant churches which had more opportunities for families such as vacation Bible school, and summer camps and youth groups. Once all four of the kids had received our first communion, we started going full time to Clovis Evangelical Free Church. Aside from Mass attendance, we stopped participating with the catholic church. At school and at youth group, I was the one always standing up for the Catholics (using the limited knowledge I had, which was indeed a very evangelical view of Catholicism because my parents were more protestant-leaning in their Catholicism in terms of certain prayer practices).

Those years, probably age 11 through 26-- so a full 15 years-- I was hard core protestant, with Catholic sympathies. I was a questioner and inquisitive and smart, and had a decent foundation in the Bible and prayer. And I never thought I would be interested in seriously converting to Catholicism, mainly because I didn’t personally know any Catholics whose faith I admired. At all.

As an adult, and a new resident to Washington DC, I came to love and accept the whole body of Christian believers of all styles, denominations, traditions, and practices.  I made friends with charismatics, theater-church people, mega church attendees, old school liturgical churches, reformed theologians, and of course Catholics. I got involved in an evangelical Anglican church affiliated with the Rwandan Anglican Church.

Like me, my family and everyone I knew thought this was great that I found a Bible believing and preaching church that taught Jesus and had orthodox views. I was fully able to embrace any church and person who loved Jesus and had orthodox views of the Trinity, Jesus, sin and grace, and salvation, etc. This included Catholics and all varieties of evangelical protestant churches.

I fully agreed with my Church’s statement that while we must be firm and united with the ancient Christians in the “essentials” of Christianity, we have freedom to agree to disagree on the “distinctives” of each denomination and their beliefs on baptism, communion, singing, dancing, alcohol consumption, etc.

I am not quite sure what is happening, but somewhere along the line, my thoughts started to change…
To Be Continued...


No comments: