Tuesday, July 12, 2011

There's a Blessing on the Other Side of Every Trial

To me, very very little could be worth the heartache I have felt. But I do believe that God would not let me walk through something this hard without a blessing on the other side.

And I don’t know what the point was, or what blessing and lesson will turn up. But I have observed that since I am now single again, I have had much more opportunity all of a sudden to do “teaching” sort of things. The thing is, I would have had in all probability, the same opportunity if I were still dating him. But for whatever reason, they are all turning up now.

As in past experiences, it takes a life experience to get me into the throes of otherwise dry theological study. When I was a friend to several Mormons, I started to look into why I believe in the trinity, what I believe about heaven and continuing revelation, and became more largely literate of scripture.

More lately, my good friends are Catholic, and that has also caused me to dive more deeply into church history, the sufficiency of Scripture and Tradition, Church Authority, Apostolic Succession, as well as the issues I really have trouble with—the elevation of certain human creatures above others of us. I still don’t ultimately know what course this will take in my life. But I am learning and growing and feel a great stirring in my life, and I see both sides (Protestantism and Catholicism) more clearly than before. But neither compels me over the other. God will show me the way, however.

The interesting thing, though, is that in the wake of all this awfulness of the last few months, I am really learning more about my gifts and actually getting to put them into practice unlike before. And it is also further confirmation in my mind that I want to be a Professor and teach college students.

No comments: