Thursday, December 31, 2009

The B-I-B-L-E


So it has been a good two weeks since I have read my Bible. If I’m honest with myself, it has been much longer than that since I have had a decent time with God. When I crave Jesus, which I do, regularly, I tend to mop up my messy self and stop up the gap with secondary works by Christian authors or thinkers. What’s wrong with me? I need to go straight to the source from whence cometh all life and help. There is no substitute. Learn, Juliet, learn! Time after time, I put my spiritual life on hold. Unlike Kent, going back to my earlier posting, I don’t get up in the middle of the night to make time for Christ when I am busy. Rather, I just shrug him off, like I do (unjustifiably) to so many of my friends, saying “he’ll understand.”

He won’t push me, but I am missing out on Him. Not the other way around. Time to turn my heart and mind and feelings toward Him again.

 Time to read His Words to me. Let's see if actually do it. Ask me about it! I will be paying attention, seeing what He wants me to read. 

1 comment:

noël said...

I wish we talked more about this in person. Last week I read my bible, I spent time REALLY praying and listening, I applied what I had been learning, and that was the first time that I'd had such responsive focus since the semester began in August. I realize that it may be unproductive to live in a cloister, but sometimes I need the discipline to live as if I were secluded with God, his truth, and a contrite heart. Even though my life is lived in dependence upon God I tend to overlook the spiritual disciplines as routine --not so. Good post :)