Monday, December 14, 2009

Where I've been...'cause I haven't been home






I can't wait to upload pictures from my past few weeks' adventures. I went to Spring Hill, Tennessee for Auntie Andy's 40th birthday. It was tons of fun, as my mom, Auntie Caedmon and Auntie Andrea as well as little Katie and I got to spend time together.

Then, I went to Bieber for my cousin Jennifer's wedding. It was gorgeous. So wonderful to spend time with her, especially before such a huge occasion. I can't even imagine what it felt like for her as we rode to the church. And I can say that, sitting there, next to her trembling arm, I was glad that my wedding is beyond my immediate sight. I am happy for her, but definitely don't feel ready to dive into that type of commitment yet. Scary, yet good, if it's the right person.

Bieber, and all of Northern California, I should say, was incredibly beautiful. I don't think I have ever seen anything as breathtaking. North of Sacramento is open, hilly, rural, pastoral, and sweeping. Northeast of Redding was mountainous, cold, the sun was setting, there was snow on the ground and covering the huge mountain ranges. We had to cross three major mountain ranges before reaching Bieber. We had to (or my Dad had to) put chains on his Toyota truck. But we got there, past the old-time, quaint, small town pizza shops and beauty parlors, the small churches, and the storybook homes.

I never wanted to leave. I cried on the way home not because I wanted to stay forever, but because whenever I leave, I have such a LONG way to go home. It is so far away. Although I cannot adequately describe the beauty and my photography is lacking, The area reminds me a bit of the exchange home in "The Holiday" where Cameron Diaz goes to stay. It's originally Kate Winslet's character's home. Except in the movie, the local town is much more upscale and trendy. Bieber is just plain old rural and country, except for my cousin Andrea's cool salon, and Jennifer's revamped youth center with a coffee bar and pool tables and stage and rec area. Wow...Jen...good work! And congratulations on the marriage. Derek-- you are sooooo lucky to get my cousin. She rocks.

No comments: