Friday, November 20, 2009

InterFaith Friendships

My Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday office is more often than not the Starbucks attached to the Gelman Library on the George Washington University campus. We call it “Gelbucks.” Someday, I will have to tell you about the unique aspects of my University that make it all at once intimidating and glorious.

Gelbucks is the busiest Starbucks in the District of Columbia, and I would venture to say that it is one of the busiest in the country. It is open 24 hours during the school year, every night except Saturday night.

There is an interesting clientele of regulars at Gelbucks, which is largely due to the unique nature of the student body at GW. I do not know them at this point, but by the end of the school year, I hope to know them personally.

First, all through the summer, every single time I was in Starbucks, there was a man in his 40’s, usually wearing a yarmulke or kippah, and his table is always covered in large, dusty, well-worn and intimidating Hebrew books. I assume that he is a Rabbi, or at least another type of Hebrew teacher. Hour after hour, young Jewish students, usually males, but a few women as well, come in to meet with him. The Rabbi should win a prize for his energy and enthusiasm in trying to make these young students see how important their history is to them. I have always tried to determine whether he was emphasizing the cultural, historical, traditional, doctrinal, or Scriptural aspects of Judaism. There is such a split in Judaism between Orthodox Jews who uphold the letter of their Scripture, and those who are Jews in name only, and are in fact heavily left-leaning. I am so curious about his faith, and whether he thinks that the students are responsive, or whether their parents make them meet with him to hopefully lead to some accountability.

A second individual I have seen, though less often, is a tiny woman, draped in heavy, long clothes, always wearing a dark colored hat to cover her hair. I assume that she is an Orthodox Jew, probably in her 30s and very plain, but very soulfully and exquisitely beautiful. She is so petite and unadorned, but her large eyes and peaceful countenance are so lovely. She also studies a heavy Hebrew text and I noticed her meeting with female GW students last week. I wonder if she is a religious teacher, a counterpoint to the more gregarious male Rabbi.

Third, there is a woman who kind of reminds me of myself. She dresses similarly, and has long, wavy hair, however, her hair is a natural burnt orange color. She meets with her students regularly, and I overheard her tell someone that she is Catholic, and she is a professor here. I think she is a lecturer rather than a tenure tack professor, but I don’t know. Today, she is talking to students about philosophy, and church history. Definitely a friend in the making, I hope. Very friendly and warm as well.

Fourth, when I attended the Iftar (last day of the Ramadan fasting for observant Muslims) dinner with some InterVarsity students in September, we sat at a table with a man from Egypt who is here for a year studying in a graduate program on campus. He is here in DC, away from his wife for a year, and unable to go home. He is often here, skyping and talking to her on his computer. He is an observant and respectful Muslim man, very kind. I am sure that I could learn a lot about his faith from getting to know him.

So, I need to be active and bold in pursuing these new friendships. I have starry eyed dreams of an “Interfaith dialog of local Starbucks patrons.” We would certainly be an interesting bunch.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Not sure I like the new name, but I love observing the best, the curious, the adventure of meeting new people. Starbucks is definitely the "third place!"