Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Sartorialist

I love fashion and beauty magazines, advertisements, really anything with engaging photographs of beautiful things. I wanted to share with you a very popular, mainstream blog I really like to look at,

THE SARTORIALIST


Here's a brief bio of the editor of the blog:

I started The Sartorialist simply to share photos of people that I saw on the streets of New York that I thought looked great. When I worked in the fashion industry (15 years), I always felt that there was a disconnect between what I was selling in the showroom and what I was seeing real people (really cool people) wearing in real life...

I thought I could shoot people on the street the way designers looked at people, and get and give inspiration to lots of people in the process. My only strategy when I began The Sartorialist was to try and shoot style in a way that I knew most designers hunted for inspiration. Rarely do they look at the whole outfit as a yes or no but they try and look for the abstract concepts of color, proportion, pattern mixing or mixed genres. I’m always really happy when I meet a designer and hear that they use some of my photos for their inspiration boards. At the same time I’m also really touched when I get emails from everyday people who say they have been inspired to see themselves and others in a new and usually more accepting way.

Check it out. I was especially inspired today because it shows people all bundled up and warm for the winter weather. Sometimes it's hard to feel lovely and fashion-forward when you are bundled up like a snowman in layers of puffy clothing and dripping scarves and tissues out of your pockets. But take a look.

I love the variety of style-types, fabrics, bodies, colors, and flares. I always appreciate a person whose look says, "Hello, I'm interesting and know what I want. And I want to share it with you. Take a look!"

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Checked it out. Apparently all you need is to close your eyes and feel what your are wearing before you open your eyes. Anyone can do it.