Sunday, January 17, 2010

St. Peter's at 5pm last night

Last night I was feeling especially selfish. I had passed by Catholic churches no less than three times yesterday as I was moving about town, and each time had shook the thought of entering from my mind.

But as I got home last night and the familiar mind-flurry of "what do I need, what do I want, what would satisfy me right now" hit me full force, I decided to skip across the street for 5 o'clock Mass at St. Peters. It is a such a familiar, safe, peaceful feeling for me to walk into a Catholic church. I did so every week growing up, from birth through sixth grade. Then my family started to go to a protestant church, which I love as well.

It is amazing to me how, though I have not gone faithfully to a Catholic service since I was 12, and I am now 25, I remember most of the words and recited prayers and responses. It is so important to develop habits and expectations and practices with young children, as they are so impressionable and it WILL stick with them. I think that this is why the Bible promises that if you "Train up a child in the way he should go, he will not depart from it." It's in his/her blood. If I ever have kids, I will definitely make faith part of the foundation of training I will provide them.

The sermon (Homily) was on two amazing passages from the Bible. The first was on the spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit, such as words of wisdom, knowledge, faith, gifts of healing, miracles, prophecy, distinguishing of spirits, various kinds of tongues, interpretation of tongues (1 Corinthians 12).  I especially noticed the last verse in this reading, "But one and the same Holy Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills." I know there is much discussion about these gifts and a lot of observations, predictions, and pontifications, but it all comes down to the fact that God distributes to each one individually just as He wills. We cannot limit God only to do what we think He wills.

The second was on the wedding feast at Cana, where Jesus performed his first public miracle (John 2). Father Byrne pointed out that this passage is symbolic of Jesus's death and his free flowing sacrificial blood that overflows to cover all sins of all people. It also showcases Jesus's tenderness and love for marriage among this young couple, and not only marriage of a young couple but a POOR young couple, because a rich couple would never run out of wine. So Jesus, on top of displaying His might, also provided lavishly for a poor young couple to make their wedding celebration a grand affair.

The way that these two readings came together was  though the mechanism of Mary's direction to the servants: "Do whatever He tells you." We need to remind ourselves of this...."do whatever He tells you." What is that? What are your gifts (from the 1 Corinthians reading)? How are you using your gifts in the Church? Can you sing, read, argue, speak, run, make a great pie, etc. But even more than just using your gifts to glorify God in the church, we must do something much more profound.

It is our calling and challenge and privilege to bring the transformation of the Eucharist (Sacrament of Communion) from the altar to the world around us. We are not just sharing our wealth, our baked goods, or our talent, but we are literally taking Communion to the people around us. That is how we truly bring glory to God through our gifts.

I am challenged. And somehow, not sure how yet, but I intend to bring my transformational Communion experience into my exam this week. I'll let you know what that looks like when I figure it out, if I figure it out.

No comments: